Friday 10 March 2017

Scale Model Builds - Intro & Rating Scale

I'm a 43 year veteran of modelling, with my first ever model being a Matchbox P51 mustang (Dooleybird) at age 7. That kicked off my lifelong plastic model fetish. I recently had an itch to build some ww2 fighters, given the tooling these days is so much better than the matchbox and airfix kits I used to muck around with when I was a kid. Its also been a long time since I've done ww2 fighters so I'm surfing the wave of motivation while it lasts.
With each of my builds, I'll give a list of the paints I used, a rating based on my own criteria and any issues that I found in the build. Almost half the time spent on modelling seems to be research and working out the correct paints to use so I hope this helps anyone looking for some easy information. I'm an unabashed Tamiya spray can fan so if I can get one to nearly match, I'll use it.

My rating scale will be as follows:


Instructions
3 - very easy to follow and well laid out
2 - ok to follow, some things not explained very well, experience needed
1 - complex instructions, very difficult to understand or follow

Assembly Complexity
3 - very easy to assemble, good for beginners
2 - moderately difficult, not recommended for beginners
1 - very complex, experience needed

Quality of Molding
3 - no flash, very sharp definition
2 - some flash or some parts not quite accurate or poorly defined
1 - a lot of flash, parts molded poorly or inaccurately

Part Fit
3 - Parts fitted together perfectly, all parts well engineered
2 - most parts fitted together well, some required filler or slight modification
1 - poor fit of many parts, much filler and sanding required

No comments:

Post a Comment